There are a wide variety of legal issues that fall under the purview of family law. These include matters pertaining to divorce, child custody, paternity and adoption, to name a few. An experienced and knowledgeable family law attorney can help you resolve even the most complex and challenging family law matters. Attorney Cornelia Clark has more than 24 years of experience as a family law counselor and client advocate.
Marital and Divorce Matters
While couples enter into marriage with the highest of hopes and dreams, it is estimated that about half end in divorce. Below are some of the marital and divorce issues that Attorney Cornelia Clark handles in her family law practice:
- Prenuptial agreements – prior to marriage, spouses agree as to how their property will be divided if they later divorce
- Legal separation – this does not dissolve the marriage but can ultimately be converted into a dissolution
- Dissolution of marriage – Washington’s no fault divorce requires only one party to file for dissolution
- Community property, separate property – properly classifying property is essential out of fairness to both parties
- Division of marital property, assets and debt – accurately distributing assets and debts is an important step in the dissolution process
- Alimony (spousal maintenance) – who pays spousal support, how much, for how long
- Child custody and support – requires great attention, care and compassion
- Domestic partnerships – making certain that same-sex marriage partners are treated fairly
Collaborative Family Law
Collaborative family law is a results-oriented, voluntary, non-adversarial legal process that is designed to amicably resolve divorce disputes outside of court. Collaborative law differs from mediation and arbitration in that both parties are proactively involved in reaching an acceptable negotiated agreement. Each spouse is represented by their attorney, and depending on the individual case, other professionals may participate. The final agreement is a collaborated effort of all involved. If either party wishes, they may withdraw from the collaborative process and pursue other means of resolution. The collaborative divorce is often less time consuming and less costly than traditional divorce proceedings.
Other family law issues that Attorney Clark deals with include mother’s rights, father’s rights, step-parent’s rights, grandparent’s custody, non-parental custody, child relocation issues, interstate divorces, guardian ad litem, domestic violence, placement of minor children in the event of death or incapacitation, agreement modifications, and more. There are many other family law topics that may be relevant to you; ask Attorney Clark if you have any questions.
Renton Family Law Attorney
Attorney Cornelia Clark offers an initial one-hour consultation in which you can ask questions, obtain her professional advice and get a cost estimate. The fee for this is $100.00; her normal hourly fee is $275. Attorney Clark also handles personal injury, wrongful death and other practice areas. To schedule your consultation, or if you have any other questions, call the Law Offices of Cornelia Clark at 425-282-0487.